HEALTHY ENERGY BALLS
On Thursday, 6th April 2017, I’m starting a 4-day walking adventure in Mallorca, in Paguera to be exact. So I thought it would be good to be well-prepared with some healthy energy snacks. As we know if we’re looking for healthy, vegan and gluten-free snacks, they can be quite expensive and I’ve caught myself looking at the tiny letters on the labels to decipher what’s actually in them. I’m sure you have done the same. More often than not, I’ve walked out the shop empty-handed as I couldn’t bother anymore or bought something realising too late it wasn’t really what I wanted.
After my Fitness Break last October, we took some recipes home, all was gluten-free, vegan cooking and it was all delicious. Time to finally take out the recipes and put them to the test.
It’s probably the EASIEST recipe you’re going to find to make some delicous healthy snacks. It took me less than 20 minutes from start to finish. Give it a go and let me know how you got on. Don’t forget, it’s vegan and gluten-free.
I’ve also made some very yummy healthy granola bars.
Prep time : 5 mins + chilling time
Cook time: No
Total time: 15 mins
Serves: 20 energy balls
- 85 g (3 oz.) pitted dates
- ½ tablespoon of maple or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 70 g (2½ oz.) pumpkin seeds
- 70 g (2½ oz.) almonds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
- Soak the dates in the honey and orange juice.
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Roll into balls. Mixture is very sticky.
- Dust with extra cocoa powder and/or coconut flakes.
- Store in the fridge until the balls are firm.