SPICY MANGO CHICKPEA STEW
It’s hearty, tangy, spicy, what’s not to love. It’s great in summer and winter, just the colours make you happy. A quite unusual combination of flavours, but they go so well together. This is the easiest recipe you’ll find in a long time.
Don’t be put off by the sweet of the mango in combination with the chickpeas. As always, I don’t measure my spices, I add until I have the right flavour, sometimes it’s a bit more garlicy or spicy than the other. But for your benefit I have put some measurements here, which you can obviously adapt to your own taste. Add some herbs as well, coriander goes pretty well with this dish.
You can use fresh or canned mango, depending the time of year, the same goes with the tomatoes. I’m using cooked chickpeas, if you want to use dry chickpeas, don’t forget to soak them overnight.
It tastes even better the day after!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Serves: 4 people
Serving size: per person
Fat: 2 g
Carbs: 32 g
Sugar: 19 g
Protein: 9 g
- 400 g chickpeas
- 250 g mango slices
- 400 g peeled/chopped tomatoes
- 200 g roasted peppers
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼-½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp himalaya salt
- fresh ground pepper
- coriander to garnish
- Chop the mango in big pieces, tomatoes in chunks, ginger, garlic and turmeric chopped finely (you can also use turmeric powder).
- Blanch the garlic, add the ginger and turmeric
- Add the tomatoes including the juice, add the chickpeas, peppers and mango with all the spices and mango chutney
- Let it simmer on a low heat for about 20 mins
- Let it sit for another 10-15 mins
- Serve and add some coriander or parsley